Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Beginning

"So this means I'm not going to see you anymore?" was my husband's first response when I told him I was starting this blog.

I can't blame him for thinking that, I mean I have three other blogs I try to keep up each week amongst all the other things a full time mom does. A year ago I started cutting back on all of my additional hobbies and I really was all about simplifying my life. In fact, I cringed at the thought of speaking events, book signings, boutiques and interviews. I began saying "No" to all of it - which is very unlike me. I missed my quiet little quaint life of picnics at the park and cookies in the oven. I wanted more time to just do those kinda things.

As the months went by things were pretty quiet. We loved moving into our new home and began painting and decorating bedrooms, laying sod and planting trees in the yard, and all the other projects that go along with building a new home. We enjoyed every holiday between Halloween and Easter. I started writing my first ever fiction novel, my husband and I found time to take a road trip together without kids (first time ever), I was able to lose 15 pounds between January and March and got a new haircut. Life was pretty sweet!

 Then just a couple days ago, I began to feel like I things were too quiet. Is there such a thing you might wonder? Between cleaning, cooking, writing and spending time with my kids I began to feel like a hermit inside this beautiful home of mine. I found that while loading dishes in the morning I would have some fun ideas or silly thoughts and no one to share them with in that moment but my two year old. Later in the day I would be sorting laundry and feel some incredible inspiration and again just enjoy it by myself. Then after the kids had gone to bed and I'd be walking on the treadmill watching Dawson's Creek on Netflix (which by the way I have never seen before - I know crazy huh?) and I'd feel overcome by emotions and reflect deeply on my own life and again - keep it to myself.

Out of the blue while checking my email yesterday the thought came to me to start another blog. I ignored it at first and then it came pretty strong the second time. The idea seemed crazy, I mean I had just sat down to write Chapter 11 in my new novel and had a mountain of laundry to sort; I hadn't planned to start a new blog, there was no time for that kind of thing. But of course, you know me - once I get an idea in my head I always go for it.

This wasn't going to be a blog like my others. Not about just one topic whether it be food, spiritual epiphanies, or a log of our family adventures (yes, those are my three others blogs). This was going to be a place where I could share whatever was my mind that day. Whatever was inspiring, tear jerking or knee slapping funny! Yes, sort of like an online journal about random things but this would be a journal that talks back. That's the best part; connecting with other people and learning your stories, experiences and ideas as well.

 What I hope you'll enjoy most is that nothing will be Photoshopped, edited or scripted. I want to emphasize reality because I think that's so important in a world where we are surrounded by the media always telling us what a perfect woman should be like. How she should think, feel, dress and act. You begin to compare yourself to all the amazing women you see on TV, on Pinterest, on various blogs and you feel like you don't measure up and may even wonder why you can't be superwoman too.

I'm here to show you that behind every delicious recipe shared is a disaster of a kitchen, behind every beautifully painted wall is another room that looks like a tornado came through, behind every attempted Pinterest idea is a toddler running through the house very proud that she pulled her diaper off, and where there's a long post full of detail, emotion and earth moving experiences there's a mom who didn't have time to put her makeup on for the day - and that's okay.

For all you women who may wonder "How does she do it all?" - you are now going to see all the things that don't get done behind the things that do. It will be an eye opening experience for all!

Perfect example right now; I had planned to pull these weeds (9 flower beds full) and take care of this mess in my bedroom this morning - but of course I chose to write this blog post instead. It will get done eventually but now you can see I truly am no super woman. A seemingly perfect life is all an illusion. Your eyes see what they want to, so I'm going to help them see better by removing all the smoke and mirrors.This is going to be fun!




This is the beginning of something wonderful! In addition to sharing fun ideas, helpful tips, motivating words and funny stories - I plan to have occasional giveaways and other fun stuff! I can't promise to post every day because I'm sure Child Protective Services would pay me a visit but I plan to post often throughout the week. You can subscribe at the top of my blog via email and you'll be notified each time a new post appears. I hope to see you here often and would LOVE to hear from you.

Have a wonderful day!

Lindsey




No comments:

Post a Comment