Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Conquering Your Fears


Paisley clogged at Nationals on Saturday at Lagoon. That's what I love so much about clogging. She competes in big competitions and every time her cute little team takes first place. They are really good for being so small. They compete against a lot of other teams that are much older. I think they are the youngest team ranging from ages 3-5.

They ended up taking first place and won overall best team in the beginner category. I remember when Paisley was so shy that she was afraid to stand up in front of a group of people. Clogging has really given her confidence and helped her conquer her fears. 



Our neighbor is a mechanic/engineer who works at Lagoon and he happened to be working that day and came over with his co-worker to watch Paisley clog. My mom also came to support her and we all had so much fun.

I learned that I am the bravest and most adventurous person in my family. My husband hates rides where he might get wet (he hates getting his hair wet) he also hates rides that spin or drop, but he like roller coasters where he drops and goes upside down - it's really weird (I think he misses out on some fun memories and experiences because he's not willing to get a little wet in 90 degree heat). My son is afraid of roller coasters and hates getting wet too. But for some reason this time, he rode Rattle Snake Rapids. In fact I went on that with all of my family except my husband. My daughters are willing to try anything but they aren't big enough to ride the adult rides, so some rides I have to ride alone. Then there's me - I just want to have fun and make memories - nothing terrifies me.

Besides all of that - I think the highlight of the day was when my son finally decided to go on the white roller coaster right at the end of the day. We tried earlier and right when he got on the ride her hurried and jumped off. So my husband and I went together. For the rest of the day he struggled with the frustration of wanting to ride yet being so afraid. At times he even cried about it. We had told him he'd get an ice cream if he did it. We also told him that it would be his favorite ride and he just needed to trust us because we are always right. Finally, at the end of the day he did and he told us it was his favorite ride and he went on it a second time.

It reminded me of a memory - about eight years ago, Manuel's mom came over from Germany to visit. We went to Lagoon and my dad came along too. I found out he had never been on the Colossus roller coaster because he was too afraid. So, I pressured him to go and he did. In fact, I entered a radio contest where you had describe your favorite Lagoon memory in two sentences. I wrote:

Watching my frightened father ride the Colossus roller coaster for the first time in his life. The scream, the childlike expressions and the picture were priceless!

I ended up winning and I won a free season pass when Gabe was one year old. That was a fun summer.

DAILY QUESTION:

If you live in Utah, what is your favorite Lagoon memory? Also, can you think of a time when you conquered a major fear? What was the result? 

-


She wants to be just like her big sister

The new teacup ride

Best friends at first glance
He hates going on water rides but loves running through fountains??

No comments:

Post a Comment