Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Grandma Bev Turns 60

My mom celebrated her 60th birthday last week! She threw a big party (similar to a wedding) at Thanksgiving Point and shared the occasion with her cousin Diane who turned 59.

She asked my sisters and I to sing an old love song at her party. We ended up sounding pretty good together as we rehearsed in a nearby linen closet. In fact it sounded so good that my sister Crista teared up and got emotional. We all got goosebumps. But as we went up to perform in front of the crowd, Crista let her nerves get the best of her and her voice went missing in action throughout the song. She was the alto doing all the harmonizing and it sounded so pretty when we rehearsed. Manuel recorded the performance below.

At the end she did a prize drawing and gave away tons of nice gifts. Cambrey and Gabe won candy bars. Gabe was so confident he would win something that we all admired his positive attitude. He was the 2nd person to win a prize and everyone at our table was amazed that he knew he would win. Then we found out that that he secretly entered his name 50 times so my brother kept drawing his name out each time and the crowd was laughing.

Crista did a great job on the cake and it was so delicious with a raspberry, creme filling. We all participated throughout the program - fulfilling assignments my mom gave us. There was a photographer who took all of our pictures. When it was all said and done we were exhausted. My mom opened her presents and loved what I gave her. A kaboodle!

My mom has always kept her makeup in an old shoebox so I called her the day before and told her that I lost my makeup and needed to borrow hers and asked her if she could bring it. She did - and then I sneaked it into the bathroom and threw away the shoebox. I rinsed off and cleaned up all of her makeup and organized it nicely into the kaboodle. I also bought her a whole new set of makeup. She loved it!

I asked my mom why she spent so much money on this occasion and she said that she always wanted to have a wedding reception at Thanksgiving Point but feels like she will never have the opportunity to remarry so she used her birthday as a reason to splurge. 

DAILY QUESTION - How do you plan to celebrate the big 60? It seems so far away that I haven't given it any thought.

Mints and water



The lovely cake
My mom bought boutineers

The sign-in table. Cherise made a photo album of my mom for all to autograph.
Stacey and Crew






Cameron was the MC



My kids won candy bars!

Present I gave my mom


No comments:

Post a Comment