Sunday, December 15, 2013

Auditions and Traditions Continued...

Before I forget I have to let you know that Gabe and Paisley tried out for the school musical Alice and Wonderland. Though they didn't make it, here are their adorable auditions.


Then of course I have footage of them looking for Winkie the elf and Cambrey's random silliness. 



What I absolutely love about having my own family is starting my own traditions. One of those traditions I mentioned earlier this year is our Friday night pizza night. The one night where the kids get to eat dinner on the floor, downstairs in the TV room. We let the kids pick a Netflix movie and we set up the dinner on the wet bar. They get to bring their pillows out from their rooms and we put a big blanket on the carpet. The pizza is just about always homemade and their are dips, salad and usually floats. We have a fun time and the kids always look forward to Friday.

The recipe for the pizza below is my new favorite way to to make pizza because it is the quickest and easiest way. Check it out here: Pita Pizzas.

This weekend I attempted to incorporate some food traditions from when I was a little girl. My mom used to make these striped candy cane cookies  that I seriously loved. So I made them for the first time for my kids yesterday. Here's that recipe: Candy Cane Twist Cookies. Because I already had a batch of sugar cookie dough, I also made a recipe that my mom and her mom used to make in the late seventies/early eighties. It's the 3D Cookie  Christmas tree. It's so cute and festive and my kids loved it. I decorated mine with edible ornaments though my mom never put ornaments on hers. It's definitely a Saturday recipe because it takes some time to do. I figure it's only once a year so why not? Here's that recipe: 3D Christmas Cookie Tree.

Lastly, I served my cookies with egg nog in my mom's vintage punch bowl glasses that she got for her wedding before I was born. We used to drink eggnog in these very glasses when I was little. My mom never cared for eggnog but my Dad did. It's because of him that I keep the tradition alive. As a little girl I struggled to like eggnog but I did my best to convince others that I liked it because my Dad liked it and I admired him. A few years ago I came up with this amazing eggnog recipe that made it possible for me to enjoy it so much that I can actually say I sometimes crave it. My kids love it too. Here's that recipe: The Best Eggnog Ever!

With only another week left until Christmas I have so many more traditions to try. It's been so fun for me lately to get in touch with my childhood and my ancestors and relive some of these nostalgic memories. My kids have really enjoyed it as well and even if I don't do all of these traditions every year, at least my kids can pick and choose which ones are their favorite and have special memories to share with their kids. I hope to pass some of these down the line.

DAILY QUESTION: Back to the topic of auditions, did you ever try out for a school musical and get the part? What was the musical and what part? I was Mrs. Banks in Mary Poppins (5th grade).

My pita pizzas



I even used a yellow gummy star for the top that we happened to have in the pantry.


Not their most photogenic moment

No comments:

Post a Comment