Thursday, November 21, 2013

Turning a Blah Day into a Hurrah Day!

Yes, those blinds are a bit dusty!
It's one of those cold, gray, November days. I thought to myself as I got out of bed this morning, "I don't have to be anywhere today, so I'm not going to get ready."

Brrrr it's cold out there.
As I made my way to the kitchen where my seven-year-old son had breakfast ready on the table, my husband's words echoed through my mind from the night before, "Why are there books all over the living room? This is supposed to be a nice room to enjoy. The carpet needs to be vacuumed - it's been too long. Gabe never uses his bathroom anymore because have you seen what the girls have done to it? This house is a mess!"

I could take an obvious hint and realized that if I was going to be home all day (in my sweats) I was going to be productive. No, not working on my little goals and personal projects - but doing things that will benefit everyone.
Sweats are the best when you're pregnant!

I started cleaning the entire kitchen, then I cleaned all the bathrooms. I washed the bathroom rugs, mopped the floors, cleaned up Paisley's red, blue and green science project explosion and all the works. I even put special little touches in the kids' bathrooms like clean new cups and fresh towels. I then vacuumed and went on to separate the mountain of clean laundry in our bedroom. I put fresh bedding on my kid's beds and got the Scentsy warmer going with a yummy Fall scent. The house was starting to look so much more welcoming, I felt like I had got my workout for the day, and because I was already on a role, I decided to make homemade cookies. My son always hints that he wishes I made make yummy snacks for him after school.

Yes, this could have been one of those days where I worked on my little projects, browsed my favorite websites, read more of the book I'm currently reading and chatted on the phone all morning with family. But I decided to try something different and I have to say it did WONDERS for my energy level, motivation and mood. I am happier today than I have been in the last two weeks. I feel like I contributed a lot today to my family and did a lot to show them I care.

No, my kids or husband may not notice all that I did, or may not even verbally express any thanks but at least I can say that I haven't yelled at my kids yet, I haven't felt stressed or annoyed, or low on energy by the time 2:00 pm rolled around, so I think this productive day has been worth it.

It's true; when I focus on myself and work on my books, blogs and reading I'm not as patient with my kids. I dread interruptions because I'm so deeply concentrated. But, when I'm walking all over the house cleaning it. I've got a better eye on the kids, they see that I'm not just doing something for myself. I sing and find things to laugh about and I'm better engaged.

Yes, it's been a great day today! And....I haven't even left the house.

She's so proud of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment