Sunday, November 17, 2013

Fun in the Snow and Deep Thoughts

Life isn't always easy and there are moments when I feel inadequate, unqualified and unappreciated. Usually when I'm in those gloomy places it's my children who seem to rescue me - just by being children. I admire my kids and wish I had the humility and tenacity to face the world the way that they do. They never worry what people may think of them. They just say what needs to be said and they are always honest about their opinions and feelings. They give the most genuine advice and have the most unique perspective on life.  But what I admire most is their ability to love. They are so forgiving and always ready to give a hug, a kiss or a compliment even when I feel I don't deserve one. They have taught me so much during my short seven years of motherhood that I couldn't help but put my feelings into a poem. Here it is:

 Lessons From My Little Ones

Through my little children
I’ve learned a great degree
More than I could ever be taught
From a university

No Ivy League professor
Could ever help me see
For it is through my little ones
I learn who I want to be

My children say, “I love you Mom”
Several times each day
But even only once a week
Would take my breath away

And when we’re at the table
They’re always quick to say
“Mom, I love your cooking”
No matter what I make

When I’m feeling lonely
Or tired from daily trials
I’ll feel a hug against my leg
And suddenly I smile

No, I don’t need a mansion
Or the car of my dreams
Cause in my humble home
I’ve got everything I need

It makes perfect sense
As to why the Savior said,
We must be like a child
To gain all the Father hath

If in this dreary world
I could ever be
A little more like my children
It is then I will be complete


DAILY QUESTION: What life lessons have your children taught you?

I just want to squeeze her!
Gabe's first self-made snowman - we named him "Wood Chip"



No comments:

Post a Comment