Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Our Fancy Feast!

We always like to celebrate Thanksgiving with our little family before we get together with the extended family on Thanksgiving. I like to incorporate the traditional foods into non-traditional recipes. We had duck instead of a turkey, we had au gratin potatoes instead of mashed potatoes, and my kids and husband hate yams so I made buttered carrots and herbs. I had to make a pumpkin pie because for Thanksgiving I'm making a pear tart. My kids love pumpkin pie.

I have to say that I'm loving Thanksgiving more and more every year! Probably because I have a food blog and I love to cook. It's also the only time of year that I get out all my fancy dishes (besides Christmas). My kids forgot that we had crystal goblets and our real silver silverware. The girls felt like princesses. Also, the lit candles told the kids that this was going to be a special meal. They were so excited.

We talked about Thanksgiving and all of the things we are thankful for and the kids were so good. They enjoyed all the different pieces of silverware and learning what to use them for. We've been eating all the leftover since Sunday. That's why I love having a dinner in my home so that we can have all the left overs. The rolls I think were the biggest hit. Manuel said that they were so yummy he could eat them without anything on them.

The night before our fancy feast, we had our homemade fast food feast. The kids have been in feasting heaven ever since.

I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving and will share all the fun moments from our Thanksgiving this weekend. Enjoy your turkey and don't forget to contemplate all your blessings!


She fell asleep on the couch. Totally reminds me of Snow White after she ate the poisoned apple.

Sometimes I like to make homemade fast food. I made fish & chips with homemade tartar sauce and ranch dressing. I served them in my cute restaurant baskets.

                             Mmmm!!

         Gabe loved this meal! He loves fish and fast food.

After dinner Manuel felt like we needed shakes so he went and bought pumpkin, candy cane and eggnog.
          All the flavors of the holidays in one bowl!

On Sunday we had our fancy dinner!

The kids kept their church clothes on because we had tithing settlement with the bishop after dinner.
We always have our own little Thanksgiving dinner before Thanksgiving. This year we had duck instead of turkey.


I put more time into the food than I did the decor.
Cambrey said, "Mom your fancy dinner is awesome!"

Our duck! Crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside. I had to crank up the heat so it would be done in 2 hours.

We had duck wit orange sauce, rolls, shrimp and cream cheese dip, carrots and herbs, au gratin potatoes, creamy pear-lime jello, cranberry stuffing and pumpkin pie and raspberry ginger ale!

F   The potatoes





They ate all the shrimp!
My homemade pumpkin pie!

Cambrey in her cute pilgrim hat.




No comments:

Post a Comment