Monday, January 27, 2014

Motherhood is Truly Remarkable!


Because this article has been quite the buzz on social media lately I decided to write my own response to this blogger's post. I have to admit the first time I saw it, I decided to ignore it because I knew it wasn't true and it seemed a waste of time to read in to. However, as I began to see the effect this was having on so many people (not to mention my five-year old daughter who was furious about this woman's words and cried) I decided to add my two cents.

I Look Down On Young Women With Husbands And Kids And I’m Not Sorry

Here is my response: 

Dear Amy,

The first thing that came to my mind when I read your article was that if it weren’t for a mother you wouldn’t be here. You said in your article "You will never have the time, energy, freedom or mobility to be exceptional if you have a husband and kids." I'm not sure how you define exceptional but I couldn't find that statement further from the truth. I'd like to share with you my story of being a young, full-time stay at home mother of four and an entrepreneur.

Being someone who has experienced both worlds and took a planned course of motherhood, I couldn’t be happier having been able to go after my dreams while fulfilling the most important role on this Earth – raising a family.

I got engaged to the love of my life at age 18 and married at age 19. An easy "task" according to you, however both my husband and I worked full-time while attending college full-time through fall, spring and summer semesters until we both had graduated and paid off our loans.

At age 23 I was a college graduate still working full-time and had built my first home. My husband and I loved to travel and I was working in my field if study in a well paying job and writing my first book. While some may have looked at me and thought I was living my dreams, I was actually staring out the office window each day dreaming about being a mother and quitting the nine to five. I had much bigger dreams and felt trapped inside a brick and mortar building that was holding me back. I wasn’t happy.

Well, at age 25 I had accomplished that “task”. Giving birth to your first child is indescribable. My husband and I melted in tears of joy as we saw our beautiful son for the first time. There was a bond there that was instant and couldn’t be broken. For the first time, I felt I had the most important responsibility in the entire world that a degree or fancy job title couldn’t match.

I quit my job which meant learning to be extremely frugal. I learned to be selfless, patient, loving, compassionate and understanding in ways I had never experienced before. My life had transformed and I was better for it. The rewards for choosing this course have been undeniably incredible. While spending each day teaching, loving and nurturing my children I also take the time to nurture my own talents. I’m an inventor of an As Seen on TV product, a national acclaimed author, a business owner, a songwriter, a motivational speaker and a blogger just like you.

Yes, I do all of these things in addition to raising a family of 5 1/2 full-time. I get to stay home and play with my children all day and during school hours and nap-time I get to go after my additional dreams. The skills and attributes I have learned from being a mom have been priceless and no doubt have opened up doors for me that have changed my life. I was humbled and honored to be awarded Wasatch Woman Magazine’s “Mother of the Year” in 2010 and have been able to positively influence many woman who want to be full-time mothers and go after their dreams.

Yes, anyone can get married and anyone can have children but not anyone can have a successful and rewarding marriage and enriching family life. Not a day goes by that I ever regret these last 13 years with my sweet husband. Nor, do I regret being the mother of (almost) four beautiful children. Each day I wake up and get out of bed, I get to be a part of something very special. I get to help these children nurture their talents and become exceptional people who will grow up to help make this world a better place. I get to be a part of making a big impact on this world – raising a loving and caring family. It’s loving and caring families that make up the thread work of a healthy society which is why it’s the most important role in this world – not a menial task. Its tough work that requires a lot of strength, effort and sleepless nights – but it’s worth it.

Amy, I hope someday that you will get to experience being a wife and a mother. Being able to willingly put the needs of others before yourself is something everyone needs to experience. It transforms your life in a way you will never understand until you experience it first hand. I have never been happier and more fulfilled than I am as a wife and mother.

Best wishes to you and your endeavors,

Lindsey


Gabe and Paisley earned an ice cream sundae for passing their swimming class. We went to Arctic Circle!
Later that night we stopped off at the Hof Winterfest in Ogden. It was good to run into old friends and see traditions from Manuel's hometown.


The kids were in awe, watching all the German dancers

Gabe made his own wrapping paper - yes that is a cow saying "moo".
This is his Valentine box he made for school. Sadly, it looks like a shirt that I own.

I can't believe he is going to be eight this year and get baptized!

Manuel and I saw this and laughed our heads off. We thought it said "fart" but Gabe tells us it says, "fat".

No comments:

Post a Comment