Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Refusing to Listen to That Inner Voice of Doubt

Yes, that's my daughter Cambrey
There are days when I ask myself this question, "Why do I write?"

I'm really not sure who reads my blogs other than the occasional person who reaches out through facebook and sends a kind comment my way. Looking at my stats it's clear that several people visit my blog and read my posts daily; but without hearing from them or seeing a face, it sometimes feels as though I'm just keeping an online journal of my own personal thoughts. 

At least that's what that little voice of doubt often says to me. "Why do you write? This is such a waste of your time. What do you hope to get out of this because you are failing at it miserably. There are so many other writers and bloggers who can do this so much better than you. The world already has too many - your posts are not making a difference so you should just move on to something else."

Yes, this is a voice I battle with on a daily basis. I know where it comes from and I refuse to listen to it. To give up is to lose hope. To have a negative attitude is also another way of losing hope. I refuse to lose hope. Hope is what gets me out of bed every morning. It's believing that things can and will get better. It's the reason I keep going and the reason I continue to write.

Ever since I was asked to speak on having a positive attitude for Stake Women's conference I have been keeping a notebook nearby and recording the daily thoughts and experiences I have in relation to this topic. Today while pondering some more I came across this passage in my book Successful Failures.

I have been okay with many of my "successful failures"; for the very sake of sending the message to those around me that it's okay to fail. It doesn't mean that you are a bad person. If anything it means that you took the liberty and energy to try. Most people never even try because of fear or lack of motivation. I would rather be known as someone who tried and failed, than someone who never tried at all.

There you have it! That is why I keep on writing. No, I have never won a special award for my writing and I haven't been offered to write for a popular magazine. It's just something I enjoy and it's very therapeutic. My deepest motivation has always been the real possibility of changing someone's life through my simple and genuine words. If my thoughts and experiences can be used to lift someone else - all of these years of writing will have been worth it.

Let's face it, we all hear voices in our head. Some are encouraging and others are destructive. When you refuse to listen to that little voice of doubt - really you are empowering yourself. Next time it creeps up in your mind - squash it like a fly! Keep doing what you enjoy and improving yourself. One day you'll look back at your life and be glad that you did.

DAILY QUESTION: What does your inner voice of doubt often say to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment