Thursday, January 16, 2014

Finding Joy in the Little Things

On Monday I had a few minutes to kill before picking up Cambrey from preschool. Paisley was out early from Kindergarten so we decided to take a buy-one-get-one-free coupon to a nearby smoothie shop and we bought the most delicious smoothies ever!

Because I have never bought the kids smoothies this was a real treat! The girls working at the little shop were so friendly to us through the drive through window. They told Paisley they loved her lip earrings and commented on how super friendly I was. Then they topped off the smoothies with layers of whipped cream and squirted whipped cream on top of each straw. Paisley's eyes lit up with joy. but Cambrey was even more excited when we picked her up from school and surprised her with a giant smoothie. She was so happy!

A couple weeks ago on a day that seemed a little glum, I went to the dollar store to get something and happened to see these cute vintage hand soaps - lemon verbena and honey almond. For some reason buying them and putting them on my bathroom counter brought me absolute joy for that day. As silly as it sounds it's finding joy in the little things that can keep the negative out of our minds.

I keep a little book at my night stand where I write down all the blessings that I received that day. I don't do it every day but I find that when I write them down it helps me remember everything good that happened to me especially if my day might not have seemed so good. I'm always surprised at how wrong I was and what I can recognize when I sit down to reflect.

Yesterday was a day full of so many "little things". My kids both improved heavily in their swimming lessons - even their instructors were shocked. Then at parent teacher conferences their teachers showed us what amazing students they both are. I was surprised at how intelligent and dedicated they are and how impressed their teachers were. One teacher commented that their test results prove that they have amazing parents who care and help them.

Then a friend who I haven't talked to in a while showed up at my door and randomly surprised me with a plate of homemade cookies - just because. I had an amazing phone call related to a project I'm working on and got some wonderful news. My daughter got invited over to a play date and she was so happy. Another friend told me how much my hydroheel product had helped her skin and her family's skin. After buying a bunch a couple weeks ago she came by again and bought 10 more - and told me how much her family loves it. Then I received a message on facebook from a complete stranger telling me that she just finished my book, The Realm and how she and her daughter are "in love" with the book and want to know when the sequel comes out. She then posted a great review on Amazon and wrote that this book really helped her teenage daughter at a rough point in her life when she was facing some peer pressure. Then I saw that I sold a How to date Your Spouse book on Amazon.

These may all seem like little things but I appreciated every one of them. It was like all the little negative thoughts that creep into my head such as, "Your books are not that great - you'll never sell them" or "Nothing will ever become of your hydroheel product - just give it up" or "You could spend way more time helping your kids with their reading and homework. If you were a good mom they would know how to swim" and the list goes on.

I recognized all of these "little things" in my evening prayer and expressed my gratitude for all the little reminders that I am a great mom, a great person and what I do matters.

DAILY QUESTION: What are the little things that make you happy?




No comments:

Post a Comment